Amigos cambio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Rebecca T- Thursday, 9 August 2012, 06:26 PM

Go down

Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Rebecca T- Thursday, 9 August 2012, 06:26 PM Empty Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Rebecca T- Thursday, 9 August 2012, 06:26 PM

Post  Emil Kristoffer Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:41 am

Hi all!

It’s me again! I just finished reading ‘Wikileaks Past, Present, Future,’ the feature article in Rabelais, Volume 46, Issue 5, July 23, 2012 (The La Trobe student journal – they are free on campus, there is a pile by the Bus Interchange).

Read it! It talks about so many topics we’re covering: the fight against corruption, the price to pay for going against government, democracy versus rule by corporations, and more!

The article is specifically about the issues regarding Wikileaks and the threatening political pressure on Aussie Julian Assange, who started Wikileaks (with others).

What I really connected to is how high-ranking United States establishment figures have branded Julian a “terrorist” and even call for his assassination! The article’s interviewee, Darryl Ephraums, puts it in words that evoke similarities to another politico-religious tool used centuries ago to get rid of people with a voice…

“What matters is the degree of panic it indicates, and the barbaric political options that become available once the incantation of “Terrorist” is invoked.” (Rabelais, page 10)

‘Incantation’ was the word that made me think witchcraft. (FYI, The Crucible is an incredible play that is spot-on with this theme).

Of course, the second issue, other than “leaking private government information” are the alleged sexual offences Julian has possibly committed in Sweden. After what I read about the U.S. government pressure on the first issue, I’m reminded of Cuban writer, journalist, and openly homosexual Reinaldo Arenas; I read his autobiography Before Night Falls (excellent read!).

Reinaldo was imprisoned by Cuban officials under the conviction of ‘ideological deviation’ and for publishing abroad without official consent; however, when he escaped, the government announced to the public that he was a woman-murderer to ensure the general population’s cooperation in catching him.

In all of this, I would like to ask: “What dark secrets are governments and corporations trying at all cost to keep from us regular citizens?”

Finally, perhaps we should support Julian and Wikileaks in gaining transparency into political and corporate affairs that affect us all.

Emil Kristoffer
Admin

https://amigos-campbio.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Rebecca T- Thursday, 9 August 2012, 06:26 PM Empty Re: Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Kristin - Thursday, 9 August 2012, 10:45 PM

I've been following the wiki leaks saga and recently watched a documentary on Sweden's handling of the assault case. When you take on such powerful enemies its sure to have consequences. Not sure how much of a civilized enemy the US is, but Assange and Wiki leaks also have a lot of high profile and wealthy supporters. (I have noticed that Australia is playing this diplomatic game very delicately.)

Interestingly Assange is seeking asylum in a country with very poor practices when it comes to freedom of speech. The Ecuadorian government is one of many countries that use the 'terrorist' label to lock away its opponents. Human Rights Watch: http://www.hrw.org/americas/ecuador

I'll have to pick up a copy of Rabelais!

Emil Kristoffer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Rebecca T- Thursday, 9 August 2012, 06:26 PM Empty Re: Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Peter - Thursday, 16 August 2012, 10:27 PM

I recently watched a video of some in the US calling for the assassination of Assange and it didn't sit well with me. As it all unfolds tonight inside and out of the Ecuadorean embassy I can't help but think if you make powerful enemies you will suffer the consequences. The alledged sexual crimes could be answered in due course,but the timing of the allegations were dubious and unclear. He was labelled a terrorist,which is the easiest way to discredit someone despite having not used violence to attempt to change any political status quo (Btw, as recently as 2008 Mandela was still flagged on US terrorist watch lists)There are about 8 police vans surrounding the embassy ready to move in and arrest Assange whether granted asylum or not, which would violate international law and damage Britain's foreign relations immeasurably. The British would justify this action under the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987, however violating Ecuadorean sovereignty would be a huge step to arrest somebody who has not been indicted with any offence, and I doubt this would be happening without serious US pressure behind the scenes. Wikileaks brought a level of accountability to the previously unaccountable and many are happy with that rise in transparency. Hopefully there is a happy ending for Assange. Time will tell. In line with what we're covering it's good to see some peaceful protests outside the embassy.

Emil Kristoffer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Rebecca T- Thursday, 9 August 2012, 06:26 PM Empty Re: Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Giovanna - Monday, 20 August 2012, 03:07 PM

Post  Emil Kristoffer Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:42 am

Here is a documentary I saw about Assange

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2012/07/19/3549280.htm

Quite interesting the how he is accused of sexual assault...

Emil Kristoffer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Rebecca T- Thursday, 9 August 2012, 06:26 PM Empty Re: Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Andres - Thursday, 23 August 2012, 11:30 PM

Post  Emil Kristoffer Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:43 am

this topic has been very interesting recently, but even more now with the protection that Ecuador provided to Assange. The position of Ecuador has made me think about what could be more important in this case 1. the sexual assault? which depends on what is sexual assault in Sweden, or 2. one person's life, because if he arrive to United States is going to be killed, and obviously Ecuador chose the second one, and it is supported for South America even is the one that they are against is the all mighty USA, which is good that these countries show to the world that they have sovereignty to do what they think correct.

Emil Kristoffer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Rebecca T- Thursday, 9 August 2012, 06:26 PM Empty Re: Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Giovanna - Friday, 24 August 2012, 09:02 AM

Post  Emil Kristoffer Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:43 am

I think that Correa's main concern is not that this is a good cause, but that It is great for his political campaign. It follows the anti-imperialist line (the same Chavez portrays) and he is able to show that is governing a country that respect the press' freedom. However, Assange has been critisase for asking the support of a country that internationally has not a reputation of allowing free press.

The intresting part of this now is to see if and how Assange is able to leave the Embassy of Venezuela and what is Ingland going to do about it (if they decide to do something). And as Tom said in class maybe non-violent movements can came with a creative and effective idea!

Emil Kristoffer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Rebecca T- Thursday, 9 August 2012, 06:26 PM Empty Re: Dangers of the 'Terrorist' Label by Rebecca T- Thursday, 9 August 2012, 06:26 PM

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down